- New ‘sectors’ section – you can now navigate the MusicTank website via industry-specific sectors – all our blogs, resources, events and reports have been categorised into these sectors to make your experience of our site more user-friendly
- Reader’s Corner – featuring a hand-picked selection of interesting and thought-provoking music industry books
- Industry Events Calendar – submit your event details to our calendar
- Industry Insights – we’ve amassed a range of free industry reports and insight papers. You can also submit your industry report for inclusion
- An update of our Industry Resources section, including a link for you to submit a resource to us
MusicTank is one of University of Westminster’s sector-based Knowledge and Business Development Networks. Launched in 2003, MusicTank’s remit was to establish itself as a business development network for the UK music industry – an independent, non-profit set up to engage with industry, innovation and change across the music business.
As music business becomes more competitive and barriers to entry continue to lower through the democratising impact of technological development, there is a need for thorough, cutting edge professional expertise. The University’s commercial and intellectual neutrality is a critical factor in the creation and sustainability of a ‘knowledge network’ that encourages adoption of best practice, circulation of innovative ideas, new collaborations and evolution of creative ventures into professional success.
Since 2003, MusicTank has built an enviable reputation for its on-going and unique approach to informing a sector experiencing radical restructuring of its core model, through an insightful programme of think tank debates, events and conferences, the natural progression from which has been the delivery of incisive reports commissioned from key industry figureheads. Our content-rich website contains a wealth of industry information and resources, together with event transcripts and podcasts, news, reports, research papers and a newsletter archive.
Aside from publicly addressing some of the music industry’s hottest topics through rigorous discussion and analysis, MusicTank has been highly successful in complementing the activities of one of the country’s leading centres of excellence for commercial music, music management and audio production. Providing industry professionals, students and teaching staff with direct access to up-to-date industry intelligence, a wealth of resources and a leading newsletter containing incisive editorial content, MusicTank’s purpose is to inform and influence the future shape of the UK music industry through engagement with industry, change and innovation.
MusicTank was shortlisted for the 2012 Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Awards – Knowledge Transfer.
MusicTank is Chaired by Keith Harris, former chair of the MMF, former Director, Performer Affairs, PPL and a Trustee of the British Music Experience.
- Largest known network in the sector – 15’000+ subscribers
- Trust – university provenance and non-profit status
- Independence/ non-bias – political and commercial neutrality
- Knowledge-sharing – rigorous pursuit of understanding, innovation & best practice
- Quality – depth and thoroughness of activity
- Engagement with industry – expertise and industry relevance
- Community and participation – UK and International profile, spanning 40 countries
- Core industry: Record labels, publishers, music producers, managers, artists, lawyers, retailers, distributors, marketers, digital specialists, industry trade bodies, promoters, musicians, venue owners, entrepreneurs
- Wider industry & beyond: Broadcasters, media, financiers, film companies, management consultants, business advisors, educators, bloggers & savants, banks, telcos, mobile, network & service providers
- Policy: Government – DCMS, BIS, The Treasury; Consumer – Ofcom, Consumer Focus; IPO – Patent Office; LACORS and the European Commission
MusicTank was developed as part of a unique collaboration with a full consortium of music industry trade bodies and organisations, comprising:
The Black Music Education Trust, Community Music and British Music Rights (now UK Music) were also part of the consortium in 2003/2004. MusicTank Partnered with the ERDF Creative Futures initiative from 2009-2012
MusicTank is a keenly sought-after delivery partner for a diverse range of organisations including The Prince’s Trust, Youth Music, CIDA, NIMIC, South Birmingham College, In The City, Music Works, Gramophone Awards, The Great Escape, Canadian Music Week, Midem,VIP News, Paddington Development Trust’s Creative Futures ERDF programme, the BPI’s Big Music Project and the MaMA Convention.
In This Section
Find out more about becoming a member by clicking below.
Subscribe to the MusicTank newsletter by entering your details below:
Thank you for signing up to the MusicTank newsletter!
26 May 2017
NEWS: The most viewed YouTube channel in the world is a music label [with 1.27bn views p mth] - bit.ly/2qiZVxo
26 May 2017
NEWS: "music business is better off now than in heydays of 1980s & 90s" former Warner Music chairman Edgar Bronfman cnb.cx/2qgV8wt
26 May 2017
NEWS: “We’ll be very aggressive in our investment strategy,” says Sony Music CEO, Rob Stringer bit.ly/2qqe1Zb-
Support our work with a one-off donation.
Find out more here, or donate now: